Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mexican Chicken Soup

The other day I made Mexican Chicken Soup from a cook book my mom gave me and it turned out really yummy.

I will post how I made it since I didn't really end up using the recipe. For some reason when cooking I always look at recipes and try to follow them but never do! I think its laziness combined with missing ingredients or thinking I can improve it. For baking though I follow recipes to a T!

Any who I used
  1. 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  2. 1 packet taco seasoning
  3. 1 can corn drained
  4. 1 can black beans drained
  5. 1 can diced tomatoes not drained (they said use can of V8 but I couldn't find any)
  6. chopped up coriander or cilantro
  7. 1 jar salsa

Now this is so easy to make:

chop up the chicken into cubes or chunks and saute chicken with 1/2 cup water some oil and the packet of taco seasoning until it is cooked.

From there dump all the chicken and sauce from the pan into a slow cooker (crock pot) that is switched on low. Dump all the cans and everything else mentioned above into the slow cooker and stir it around and put the lid on it for 2 or 3 hours. I left it for 1.5 hours and it was great.

(p.s. I also added finely chopped up carrot so there would be some veggies in there as well, really you could add any vegetable and it would be really good)

We added low fat sour cream on top and some grated cheese and ate it with some tortilla chips.

As left overs tonight Grant is going to put it into tortillas and eat it as a burrito and I plan to put it over a baked potato!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummo!!
I'm definately going to have to give that a try!!!

Crappy day huh...

Take care
Mel

beeswax said...

It sounds good and maybe it can clear out your sinus' and everything else too.
I always change recipes, usually because I don't have everything in the house.
Keep on cooking!
Love you, MOM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...