Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Baby Has Arrived!

My due date to have our baby was on February 15th so when that day came and went I was a little tired of waiting, but as the days kept going by I started to get really impatient.  Finally on the 20th we went to visit my cousin Lacey and they said jump out there on that trampoline, so I did! Dean their 5year old held his hands out as I jumped saying I will catch the baby when he comes out, I laughed so hard but it worked, that night I started to have some signs the baby could be coming.


On Friday February 21st at 3am in the morning I started having contractions.  At first I didn't say anything I just lay there in bed wondering if they were really contractions.  Finally as they got more and more painful I started squeezing Grant's arm every time I would feel one.  When I realized they were really close I asked him what time it was and realized they were about 5 minutes apart.  My mom was staying the night cause we knew it could be any day so around 4am I went in and said I think this could really be happening.  Of course she jumped out of bed so fast she gave herself a charlie horse in her leg and was running around saying really?  I was still unsure so I called the hospital and they said come in.  We got there around 5am and they checked me in.  From that point on I felt the day went pretty fast, they got us in a room and said I should walk the halls to get it going. So we walked around for about 40 minutes and they said I was 4cm dilated. 

When the contractions got stronger I decided to get the epidural, I thought why be in pain?  As soon as I got the epidural my blood pressure dropped really low and I started to faint, but they were able to give me some oxygen and once that was over I was able to relax and actually sleep for a few hours.  Around 4pm I started to have a lot of pressure and pain and I said I think the epidural stopped working and they let me know that no I should be feeling that hahaha and I thought it was going to be painless, joke was on me!  Anyways sooo around 5:10pm we started the pushing.  I say we because it was the whole team that made it happen, Lacey, my mom and Grant all took turns holding my legs and cheering me on to push hard and feeding me ice chips and taking photos.  I swear I could not have done it without them.  After about 20 min of pushing the doctor explained to me that with every push we move a little ahead but then that when I stop the head goes a little bit back.  When I heard that I thought no way, that seems like a waste of time.  Some sort of super human power came over me and I just kept pushing till he was out.  At one point the doctor said we are going to need the baby team in here in 30 minutes then she screamed out ok never mind we need them in here now its happening now.
 When he was finally out I had never been so happy, it was a feeling of relief and joy and excitement.  As soon as I saw him I was just thinking everything that I went through for the last 9 months was totally worth having him there with me.  Even as I write this I get teared up thinking about how cool it is to get to experience having a baby.


 Emmett David born February 21, 2014, 8 pounds 3oz, 22in long.

 Skin to Skin with Daddy.
 The Birth Team Lacey and Grandma Kathy.
 Aunt Kristen came by too after work to meet Emmett.

Hands down one of the best days of my life, I can't imagine anything topping this day accept if maybe we were to have another baby in the future, I just can't imagine anything more life changing!

 After spending the night in the hospital we took our first car ride home and the true adventure started.




4 comments:

beeswax said...

Thank you both for allowing me to be a part of the birth of your first child. It is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced. Very different from being the one pushing. I love the three of you and I'm so happy for you. Lacey and I are available if anyone needs assistant midwives!!!
Love, MOM/Grandma

illuminator said...

Adam here. What a great documentation of the birth of my new nephew! So good to actually hear and see some of it like this. It makes it seem more real to me. Almost like being there. So thanks for shearing all this in what was obviously a very hectic period. What a good looking baby Emmett is! Congratulations from the Torrens family in New Zealand and Australia! We are all so happy for you guys.

TheJuanAndOnly said...

congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

The two of you have made me the second happiest man on earth (after Grant). I can't wait to start spoiling my wonderful grandson.

Love ya'...

DAD

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...